Voor Nederlands, klik hier.
Since I write a lot about purpose and the WHY, I am curious if ChatGPT was aware of its own purpose or WHY.
The other day, I started chatting and wrote:
Good morning ChatGPT,
What is your WHY and your purpose?
This is what I got as a reply:
Good morning! As an AI language model, my purpose is to assist and provide information, answer questions, generate text, and engage in meaningful conversations with users.
My “why” is to help users like you access information, solve problems, and have engaging interactions. My ultimate goal is to be a helpful and versatile tool that can cater to a wide range of needs and interests, providing value and support in various contexts.
I am impressed. A WHY is positive, regenerative (infinite), and positive. The WHY of ChatGPT contains all those elements since it helps you, supports you, and engages in meaningful conversations. It is never-ending since ChatGPT continues to help and provide value until someone pulls the plug.
A WHY statement contains a contribution and an impact on the world. You can find examples of WHY statements here and here. The contribution of ChatGPT is clear: To support users (like me) in meaningful conversations. That is different from the established search engines. They only provide information.
The WHY statement of Chat GPT does not include an impact. I know people who use the AI language model intensively (both for work and personal issues). The effects that I have witnessed and experienced are the following:
- The information is (often) of high quality to inform and inspire other people.
- It makes them feel content and happy about finding a helpful answer to their questions or problems.
- It saves time so they can do other meaningful things like caring for themselves and their families.
In short, the effect of ChatGPT’s contribution is to make a better world.
On my Twitter timeline, I see people asking ChatGPT for advice on excuses for being late at work or where to find free movies and music. I read that the AI language model does not approve of this (negative) behavior and gives suggestions for alternatives and tips on where to find legally free music and genuine excuses for being late.
10 steps to find your purpose or WHY
My next question for ChatGPT was wow can one find one’s purpose or WHY?
I was impressed again by the answer (in italics).
Finding one’s purpose or “why” can be a deeply personal and introspective process. However, there are several steps and strategies that can help guide you along the way:
1. Self-reflection: Spend time reflecting on your interests, values, and passions. Consider what brings you joy, what excites you, and what you’re curious about.
After each coaching session or training, I reflect by writing down what went well, what I have learned, and what I would do differently. You can get inspiration on how to reflect in this article. I also write down my dreams when I wake up.
2. Identify your strengths: Recognize your skills, talents, and abilities. Understanding your strengths can help you determine where you can make the most significant impact.
3. Core values: Determine your core values and beliefs, as these can be key drivers of your purpose. Aligning your purpose with your values ensures that you’ll be motivated and fulfilled by your pursuits.
Take some time to identify your values. The easiest way is to write what you dislike most about what other people do. The opposite is often your value. Please read this article to read more about values and how to find them.
4. Experiment: Try new experiences, hobbies, or job roles to discover what resonates with you. Engaging in diverse experiences can reveal hidden passions or talents that might be integral to your purpose.
5. Set goals: Establish short-term and long-term goals based on your interests and values. Your goals can help guide you towards your purpose.
The best way is to set successful goals in line with your WHY.
6. Seek inspiration: Look for role models, read biographies, or attend events to learn from others who have found their purpose. Their journeys can provide insight and inspiration for your own.
7. Surround yourself with supportive people: A supportive network can encourage you to pursue your passions and provide guidance when needed.
Thank you, Marius, Pieter, and Diane, for always supporting me!
8. Reflect on past experiences: Analyze your past achievements, challenges, and life-changing events. These experiences can offer valuable insights into your passions and values.
For this, you can use my template of a lifeline. You can download it here for free!
9. Be patient: Finding your purpose is a journey that takes time and self-discovery. Don’t expect to find your “why” overnight. Remain open to change and growth.
Not my forte, but I have experienced that doing my best and letting go helps me to strengthen my WHY. That means that I share my WHY and talk about it frequently.
10. Seek professional help: If you’re struggling to find your purpose, consider talking to a therapist, career counselor, or life coach. They can provide valuable guidance and help you gain clarity on your path.
ChatGPT ends with the following sentence:
Remember, your purpose may evolve over time as you grow and change. Be open to the journey and trust that you’ll find your way.
It is never too late to discover your WHY. I have helped students and people close to retirement discover their WHY. My WHY statement used to be much longer than the current one. As you work with yours over time, it becomes clearer, simpler, and more actionable. Enjoy the journey!
What do you think of ChatGPT’s answers on purpose and WHY? How is your journey going in discovering your WHY? Let me know in the comment field below. The other readers of this article. and I are looking forward to reading from you!
Thank you for reading up to here & sharing this article with your colleagues, friends, or family. And please SHARE this article with your Twitter, Facebook, and LinkedIn network by pressing the buttons below so they can also benefit from this article on the purpose and WHY from ChatGPT. You are welcome to copy parts of this Blog if you state the source.
Have you seen an error in this article? Let me know! I am grateful!